The Phuguri tea garden is located in the west of Darjeeling, near the Nepalese border, at an altitude of 1100 to 1800 meters. The tea plant had been introduced in that region by a Britsh physician, Dr. Campbell, in 1841. The soil and climate proved very suitable, but in the scarcely populated area there was not enough work force. A Nepalese nobleman, Dakman Rai, helped Dr. Campbell bring in migrant workers from nearby Nepal. By way of thanks he was given land where in 1880 the Phuguri tea garden would be founded. Nowadays Phuguri has an annual production of 150.000 kg. organic tea, with fair trade certification.